Feeling a bit overwhelmed when you see the 100’s of results for tours in Cairns? It can be daunting, especially if it is your first time visiting!
See our local staff’s top 10 picks on the BEST things to do while you are in Cairns. To make it even easier, we’ve linked them so you can book with just a couple of clicks!
From family day trips, to solo adventures, we have you covered!
- Frankland Islands full day tour – A hidden gem! Once connected to the mainland hundreds of thousands of years ago, these five continental islands combine rainforest vegetation and rocky outcrops with sandy beaches and a World Heritage-listed underwater wonderland.
Frankland Island Reef Cruises are the only company with permits to take you to these special islands so jump on board today! This is a great option for families, couples and solo adventurers – Click here here to find out more —> Frankland Island Day Tour
2. Northern Experience Tours – Paronella Park + Tablelands day tour – This is one my my personal favourites!
Spend a day touring some of the most popular spots such as Millaa Millaa Falls, The Twin Kauri Pines, Curtain Fig trees before having a wonderful lunch at Roscoe’s restaurant and heading out to discover the magical story behind Paronella Park. This tour is a great option for seniors or couples. – Click here to find out more —> Paronella Park + Tablelands Tour
3. The Famous Kuranda Scenic Railway and Skyrail – One of the more popular attractions that Cairns has to offer and it is definitely worth it! Start your day by catching the Historic Scenic Railway up the mountain with a wonderful commentary on the history of the railway.
Once you arrive you will have a few hours free time to explore the village in the rainforest! Visit the Historic Markets, check out Birdworld and the Australian Butterfly sanctuary, take a relaxing river cruise or take the beautiful Jum Rum rainforest walk!
You will then take the Skyrail back down to Cairns, gliding over the Rainforest. Packages are able to be personalized so you can take the Skyrail up and the Train back down if you so choose. This tour is perfect for everyone! Families, couples, solo adventurers and seniors – Click here to find our more —> Kuranda Tours
4. Spirit of Cairns Sunset Dinner Cruise – A magical way to end the day, with amazing food, drinks and atmosphere. The Spirit of Cairns has yet to disappoint! Perfect for couples or small parties. – Click here to find out more —> Sunset Cruise Tour
5. Hartley’s Crocodile Adventures – Head on out to Hartley’s for the day to experience FNQ’s monster crocodiles up close and personal! Located 45 minutes north of Cairns this trip is great for the whole family. You can even pole feed a giant crocodile yourself! Or if that’s not your thing, why not cuddle a Koala or hold a baby croc? Transfers are also available at a reasonable price if you don’t have a car, leaving twice a day from Cairns. – Click here to find our more —> Hartley’s Croc Tours
6. AJ Hackett Cairns – Skypark Cairns is a rainforest world of adventure that needs to be seen to be believed. For the thrill seekers there are a range of activities from the classic Bungy Jump to the Giant Jungle swing!
Spectators can enjoy a cold beverage while watching the jumps from the Deck Bar on the big screen! Courtesy Bus is available on request for hotel pickups/drop offs. This activity is great for ages 10+ – Click here to find out more —> AJ Hackett Tours
7. Brett’s Outback Tasting Tour – Is a must for all foodies! Spend the day cruising through the picturesque Atherton Tablelands tasting the best produce Tropical North Queensland has to offer. Including Dairy farms, Coffee Plantations, Distilleries, Farmers markets and Wineries.
This tour is 18+ and great for couples, seniors and small groups – Click here to find out more —> Outback Tasting Tour
8. Fitzroy Island – Fitzroy Island is a great half or full day getaway. 45 minutes from Cairns it is a stunning island with so much to do! We are often asked which is better, Green Island or Fitzroy, and while both are equally amazing Fitzroy wins in my books!
Snorkel, Paddle board or Kayak in the pristine waters, Take a walk up to the lighthouse, check out the Turtle Rehabilitation centre or simply relax with some cocktails at Foxy’s Beach bar! This island has everything! Great for all ages, families, solo travelers and couples. – Click here to find out more —> Fitzroy Island
9. Billy Tea Safaris – Cape Trib and Daintree Day tour – Head out with Billy Tea for one of the best Rainforest tours in Cairns.
Spend the day exploring this wonderful Ancient Rainforest, eating tropical ice cream, swimming in some of the most beautiful rivers, and walking through the ancient forest where ‘dinosaurs’ still roam today! If you’re lucky you might see one in the wild – The elusive Southern Cassowary.
Billy Tea is my go to tour operator when heading to the Daintree Rainforest, however there are many other budget friendly day tours available or take a map and spend the day exploring this magical place for yourself! This tour is perfect for all ages, couples, and solo adventurers – Click here to find out more —> Billy Tea Tour
10. Sunlover to Moore Reef – The Moore reef pontoon is the BEST family day trip to the Outer Reef, it has everything!
From a touch and feel tank and enclosed swimming area for the young ones, underwater observatory and glass bottom boat tours for those who don’t want to get wet, to a waterslide for the big kids, and a licensed bar for the even bigger kids!
You will spend 4 hours out on the reef with a great buffet lunch included. Your snorkeling gear is also included and you can purchase extra’s on the day such as guided snorkel tours, helicopter flights or the ever popular sea walking experience! – Click here to find out more —> Sunlover to Moore Reef Tour